The University of Victoria women’s golf team got off to a positive start for Day 1 of the Canadian University/College Golf Championship at Firerock Golf Course in Komoka, Ont. Looking to rebound on their performance at the AII Regional Championship, the Vikes finished the opening round third in the team standings, while first year Sukriti Harjai and Nicole Gargarella are both in the Top 10 for individual standings.
Harjai carded one birdie and was par on 12 holes to finish tied for third and a Round 1 score or 77 (+4). Gargarella recovered from three bogeys and one double bogey on the front nine to finish par on 11 holes resulting in a 79 (+6). Fellow Vikes Quinn Fitzgerald and Rhiannon Jones were one stroke apart with an 81 and 82, respectively.
“The girls were off to a really solid start but unfortunately we struggled to finish off today,” said Vikes women’s coach David Rands. “We are looking forward to getting after it tomorrow and know that we need to stay consistent the whole round to keep ourselves in a good position.”
Kate Johnston of the University of British Columbia (UBC) paced the women’s division, ending the day with a one-stroke advantage. Johnston shot an even 73 to lead the field of 51. Laval’s Catherine Gariépy sits in second after carding a 74, while her team holds on to first place overall with three athletes in the Top 15.
The individual champions in the women’s and men’s competitions receive exemptions into their respective Canadian Amateur Championship.
Click here for more information on the event, including tomorrow’s tee times and full leaderboard.
Top-5 Women’s – Team
- Laval Rouge et Or, *115-119-234 +15
- UBC Thunderbirds, *116-119-235 +16
- Victoria Vikes, *119-118-237 +18
- Waterloo Warriors, *123-125-248 +29
- Montréal Carabins, *121-129-250 +31
Top-5 Women’s – Individual
- Kate Johnston, UBC Thunderbirds, *35-38-73 E
- Catherine Gariépy, Laval Rouge et Or, *34-40-74 +1
- Sukriti Harjai, Victoria Vikes, *38-39-77 +4
- Shania Remandaban, UBC Thunderbirds, *37-40-77 +4
- Laura Upenieks, Toronto Varsity Blues, *39-38-77 +4