© Copyright – 2019 – Victoria Sports News


In October 2018, engineer Jonathan Huggett, the man behind the approximate $110-million dollar bridge to Vic West that went triple over budget and took much more time to build than originally estimated was hired by the West Shore Parks and Recreation board to oversee financial sustainability.

The Westshore Parks and Recreation board voted this week to replace the 44-year-old Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre’s curling rink with something other than a curling rink.

The change is immediate.

Apparently, the board says that the space will be used by the growing number of sports teams, recreational programming, child care, and other West Shore user groups.

The board indicated that the curling facility was used on 20 per cent of the time leaving it unused 80 per cent of the time.

The closing will leave the over 500 West Shore curlers without facilities. For the 40-year-old club, this is devastating news. West Shore curlers will need to play in Victoria and Oak Bay if they have room.

West Shore Parks & Recreation operates facilities for a variety of recreational opportunities including Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre, The Q Centre, Juan de Fuca Par 3 Golf Course & Centennial Centre.

West Shore Park & Recreation is governed by the West Shore Parks & Recreation Society’s Board of Directors made up of representatives from the City of Colwood, the City of Langford, the District of Metchosin, the District of Highlands and the Town of View Royal. Each municipality’s contribution, through tax requisition, assists in the operation of the parks and recreation facilities.

The board includes Sandy Clarke, Geoff Welham, Wade Davies, Grant Brown, Brian Merryweather, Katherine Beck and Huggett.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.