Peter Kung

Foster Martin had two goals and an assist against his former team as the Victoria Cougars doubled up on the Oceanside Generals  6-3 on Thursday night.

The win allows Victoria to remain nine points behind the South Island Division-leading Westshore Wolves who won their game Thursday night.

Martin, who was dealt to Victoria in exchange for future considerations, has eight points in 16 games since changing uniform colours in early September.

The Cougars enjoyed period leads of 2-1 and 5-2.

Martin scored his first of two goals at 1:42 of the opening frame when he pounced on a Zefan Pighin rebound and beating Aaron Jakubowski.  Just prior to the goal, Liam Kinshella was able to feed Pighin the puck before getting flatted by Trae St. Pierre at centre ice.

Oceanside tied the game on a goal by Brady Kay.  Streaking down the right side, William Norman fed an aerial centering pass to Kay who deflected the puck over the right shoulder of Nate Reinhart at 12:38.

Reinhart, who was acquired yesterday, made his first start for the Cougars after beginning the season with the Campbell River Storm.

Victoria took the lead at 14:35 when Akila Sato-Gaudreau wheeled out from behind the net and ripped a wrist shot that was too hot to handle.

A delay of game penalty plus a two-minute minor for hooking to Matthew Sparrow put the Generals on a two-man advantage early in the second period.

59 seconds in, Landon Dziadyk redirected a Logan Archer point shot to tie the game.

The Cougars regained the lead on a power play at 4:16 when Wade walked out front untouched and slid the puck past Jakubowski for his seventh goal of the season.

Martin would score again, this time on an easy tap in at 7:22.  Watching the proceedings from the sin bin was Koby Adams-Loitz who had all but 20 seconds expired in his tripping penalty.

Victoria went ahead 5-2 at 12:47 when Lakoduk scooped up a loose puck in the crease and fired it home.

There would be no scoring until the 12:36 mark of the third period.  With Ethan Trampuh off for unsportsmanlike conduct, Andre Sutter cut into the lead 12 seconds later on a shorthanded breakaway.

On the play, Reinhart was shaken up after Sato-Gaudreau inadvertently ran him over.  After getting attended to by trainer Jordan Brucks, Reinhart was medically cleared to resume activity.

Reinhart, who attended the Victoria Royals camp last season, was in the mix for the backup job only to lose out to Dylan Myskiw.

A shorthanded, empty net goal by Mateo Albinati with 42.9 seconds remaining in regulation would prove to be the final nail in the coffin for the Generals.

Reinhart stopped 20 shots; meanwhile, Jakubowski made 31 saves.

The Cougars went 2-for-6 with the man advantage.  Oceanside finished 1-for-7.

With a slew of injuries and a suspension to Dylan Defosse, Suneil Karod was forced to ice only 14 skaters and two goaltenders.

Elsewhere in the VIJHL, Cameron Coutre scored at 2:16 of second overtime to lead the Westshore Wolves to a 4-3 win over the Nanaimo Buccaneers in front of 225 at the Nanaimo Ice Centre.

Next game for Victoria is Friday, November 17 versus the Saanich Braves.  Game time at G.R. Pearkes Recreation Centre, located at 3100 Tillicum Road, is 6:30 p.m.



1st star, Darwin Lakoduk (Goals:  1, Assists:  3)

2nd star, Foster Martin (Goals:  2, Assists:  1)

3rd star, Liam Kinshella (Goals:  0, Assists:  1)