University of Victoria Vikes women’s soccer midfielder Rachel Baird becomes the first Vikes athlete to be honoured by U SPORTS for the 2018-19 season. Baird was selected as U SPORTS Female Athlete of the Week for her four-goal weekend from Oct. 12-13. Baird and Ottawa’s Brendan Jacome make up the seventh week of U SPORTS athletes of the week.
Baird was the key for a Vikes weekend sweep over the Regina Cougars (4-0) and Saskatchewan Huskies (4-0). Playing in all 180 minutes, the Nanaimo native, scored two goals in each game for the Vikes. Baird’s first goal against Regina was the game-winner, as both games were played in extremely cold temperatures. Baird’s performance this weekend proved even more important, as the Vikes continue their pursuit of a Pacific Division playoff spot. Baird has started all 12 games for the Vikes this season and is now tied for fifth in the nation in goals with seven.
- CW: Ajeej Sarkaria, soccer, Alberta
- OUA: Brendan Jacome, hockey, Ottawa (winner)
- RSEQ: Vincent Laperle, swimming, Montreal
- AUS: Peter Schaale, soccer, Cape Breton
- CW: Rachel Baird, soccer, Victoria (winner)
- OUA: Sam Strassburger, hockey, Nipissing
- RSEQ: Laurie Cousineau, soccer, Laval
- AUS: Carol-Ann MacDonald, cross country, Moncton