Week 15 was a busy one – the first one back from the Christmas break.
As a result, the standings have changed and it sets up another important weekend or two as we move forward to the completion of the 2017-2018 regular season.
- The biggest news from the weekend would probably be from Hampton when last place Vantreights and near top of the table Gorge battled to a 3-3 draw. Noted that Gorge needed to score in the last minute of play to avoid the loss.
- The VISL Game of the Week had plenty of goals. The Vic West squad put up six of them to Bays United’s three. Plenty of transferred in talent for the Vic West team; in particular Victor Blasco. He was a threat every time he took possession of the ball. Strong play from Jordan DeGraff (also transferred in just before the deadline) and nominated player of the game Bryan Taylor was just too much for Bays to handle. Great game pictures available on the VISL Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/VancouverIslandSoccerLeague/
- Cowichan was able to sneak hard-working VI Wave team who were energized with the return of Blair Sturrock. (back from injury)
An own goal later in the match was just enough for Cowichan to get the full 3 points and get that much closer to their 4th consecutive Garrison Cup as Divisional Champion.
- A battle at Westhills had the New Kids on the block take down Comox. An evenly matched affair till late in the game when Westcastle got an extra goal to stop the Valley boys from pulling off an upset.
- Nanaimo seemed to have little issue with Lakehill. In what some might have considered to be a very tight game; the score shows differently. Huge 3 points for Nanaimo as it places them in 3rd, while dropping Lakehill to 6th.
Here are the individual scores from games:
Vantreights – (D1)
Goals: Antony Rogers, Kevin Carrigan, Dustin Chang
Gorge FC – (D1)
Goals: Dominic Colantonio, Jordan French, Jon Shah
Vic West FC – (D1)
Goals: Leo Falzon, Ryan McCurdy, Dylan Kirk, Matteo Ventura, Bryan Taylor (2)
Bays United Liquor Plus – (D1)
Goals: Nicholas Hurley (2), James Rhodes
Cowichan FC – (D1)
Goals: Patrick Nelson, Own Goal
VI Wave – (D1)
Goals: Blair Sturrock
Comox Valley United – (D1)
Goals: Kyle Bate, Kellen Arnink
Westcastle United – (D1)
Goals: Elliott Cuthbert (2), Koen Schoffner, Ethan Monaghan
Lakehill FC – (D1)
Goals: Ryan Andre
Nanaimo United FC – (D1)
Goals: Benjamin Leggett, Matt Mehrassa, Robbie Cochrane, Daragh Fitzgerald
Here is the up to date standings as well as the scoring leaderboard:
|An entertaining weekend, next week’s games will no doubt shed some more light on how the divisional play will wrap up.|