Vikes women earn top-ten finish at U Sports Championship
Chloe Hegland finished seventh out of all Canada West runners and 28th overall on Saturday to help lead the University of Victoria Vikes women to a ninth-place finish at the U Sports Cross Country Championship.
For her efforts, Hegland earned the title of Canada West First Team All-Star. The fifth-year Victoria native finished 21st overall at last year's championship and had herself another fine day to lead the Vikes group on Saturday morning.
Trinity Western took the cake for Canada West teams while the Guelph Gryphons were the top team overall, earning their 12th consecutive banner. For the Vikes, Saturday saw a solid all-around effort that resulted in a strong result.
"Our women ran a solid race on a very challenging course," said Fougner. "Everyone gave 100% today and we could not be more proud of them."
Hegland ran a time of 22:55.2 to lead the Vikes pack, followed by Rachel Francois in 39th overall with a time of 23:11.17. Francois, who is back with the Vikes for her fifth year after redshirting in the 2015-16, was named a Canada West Second Team All-Star. After the race, Fougner singled her out as having one of the more impressive finishes of the day.
"Rachel ran her last varsity cross country race today and she pushed it right to the line with an awesome finishing kick," said Fougner.
Canada West Women's Cross Country Team Results
CW Finish / Points / U Sports Overall Finish
1. Trinity Western / 102 / 3rd
2. Alberta / 222 / 6th
3. Victoria / 246 / 9th
4. Calgary / 263 / 11th
5. Manitoba / 352 / 12th
6. Saskatchewan / 440 / 17th
7. MacEwan / 472 / 19th
Canada West Women's Individual Results – All-Stars
CW Finish / University / Time / U Sports Overall Finish
1. Emma Cook-Clarke / University of Calgary / 21:15.0 / 2nd
2. Lisa Brooking / Trinity Western University / 21:22.8 / 4th
3. Regan Yee / Trinity Western University / 21:29.2 / 5th
4. Melissa Jones / University of Calgary / 22:25.8 / 14th
5. Morgan Lawley / University of Alberta / 22:31.1 / 15th
6. Hannah Leggatt / MacEwan University / 22:44.9 / 24th
7. Chloe Hegland / University of Victoria / 22:55.2 / 28th
8. Meg Harradine / Trinity Western University / 22:58.4 / 29th
9. Mirelle Martens / Trinity Western University / 22:59.2 / 30th
10. Shayna Uhryn / University of Saskatchewan / 23:00.8 / 33rd
11. Rachel Francois / University of Victoria / 23:11.7 / 39th
12. Joanna Williams / Trinity Western University / 23:12.2 / 41st
13. Brooke Mentanko / University of Saskatchewan / 23:27.3 / 47th
14. Nicole Soderberg / University of Alberta / 23:32.7 / 50th