Photo credit: Christopher Kelsall

Copyright – 2016 – Victoria Sports News

The Victoria Shamrocks hosted the undefeated Maple Ridge Burrards Friday night at the Q Centre on the back half of their second back-to-back set this season. The Burrards took the game in overtime by a score of 12-10 – a second straight loss for the team in green who started the season 3-0.

The 3-1 Shamrocks lost Thursday night for the first time this season in New Westminster at Queen’s Park Arena by a score of 16-4. The Salmonbellies needed to have a good game after starting the season with three consecutive losses. They did.

Going into tonight’s game, the Burrards were 2-0 and have outscored the competition 17-11.

By the time the clock read 6:36, the Burrards, who came out with a vengeance, were up 4-0 and the Shamrocks’ starting goaltender Cody Hagedorn was sitting on the bench after being pummeled with 20 shots.

The Burrards opened the scoring at 46 seconds, to set the tone for their dominating first period.

With the Shamrocks on their heals, Corey Small, last year’s points leader with 79 and currently league leader with 30 points in four games had had enough and took over, scoring a natural hat-trick to bring the Shamrocks within one before the first period buzzer sounded.

During the second period there appeared to be a new attitude in the Q Centre; the Shamrocks began to look like the league leaders again as they owned possession and zone time. The Shamrocks scored four consecutive and five of seven to close out the second period, 8-6. Hagedorn was back in net for the Shamrocks and sealed the door tight, even though he was out-shot 17-15.

Photo credit: Christopher Kelsall

The pace continued into the third as the Shamrocks took just seven seconds to net their ninth to move the score to 9-6. But then they blew two leads.

The Burrards weren’t giving up easy and with the help of two questionable calls that went against the Shamrocks the teams entered the final minute of play tied 10-10.

With the final seconds running out on the clock and the Shamrocks’ net empty, the Burrards lobbed a shot that was headed for a sure goal, but for the spectacular diving, mid-air save made by a sprinting Hagedorn, the game headed to overtime. Hagedorn’s save was likely the play of the game.

Coady Adamson scored, then Eric Davies potted what turned out to be the insurance marker during the 10-minute overtime, as the game ended 12-10 for the Burrards. Adamson scored twice, with the game winner to earn a total of eight points on the night, while teammate Mike Mallory scored four goals and earned two helpers.

The Shamrocks play next Friday at the Q Centre against the Langley Thunder.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.