The Victoria Royals will take on the Portland Winterhawks tomorrow and Wednesday night, and the Vancouver Giants on Saturday evening. Puck drop for all three games is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. while Saturday will also mark the club’s sixth annual Teddy Bear Toss.
Saturday’s game will be the last opportunity for fans to see the Royals live in action at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre before the Christmas Holidays. Victoria returns home to face the Prince George Cougars on Tuesday, December 27th and Wednesday, December 28th with puck drop for both contests slated for 7:05 p.m.
ON FIRE: With his penalty shot goal on Saturday night, Matthew Phillips has now tallied 23 goals this season. This puts the forward in a tie for the second most goals scored in the WHL with the Kootenay ICE’s Zak Zborosky. Phillips is also tied for the second-most powerplay goals in the league with 10.
MILESTONE WATCH: Victoria defenceman Ryan Gagnon, who has appeared in 282 WHL contests, is only one game away from tying the Royals’ record for most WHL regular season games played, and will reach the milestone on Wednesday against Portland. The current record is set by former Royal Logan Fisher, who appeared in 283 contests for Victoria. The franchise record is set by Brandon Magee who has played in 318 regular season games with the Chilliwack Bruins and the Royals. Gagnon has the opportunity to surpass Magee’s mark, with 320 games played, if he dresses in the remainder of the Royals’ regular season contests.
Intermission Activities & Promos:
o Jiffy Lube Oil Change (approx. 20-30 winners per game).
– The Keg Shot on the Dot (second intermission)
o 4 fans will compete for a $50 gift card to The Keg Steakhouse + Bar.
– Season ticket, half-season, and Five Game Fan Pack holders are reminded that Wednesday’s game is the second rain check night of the season where any unused tickets can be redeemed at the Select Your Tickets Box Office.
Intermission Activities & Promos:
o Grand prize of four Royals’ anytime vouchers and a $25 gift card to the Royals’ Team Store.
SATURDAY – TEDDY BEAR TOSS NIGHT
The Royals’ sixth annual Teddy Bear Toss is proudly supported by Western Financial Group, 100.3 The Q! and The Zone @91.3.
Fans are encouraged to bring their new teddy bears or stuffed toys and throw them on the ice after the Royals score their first goal. Save-On-Foods will be giving out plastic bags at the entrance to wrap stuffed toys in before they are thrown on the ice.
Bears will be distributed to a variety of local charities including Salvation Army, The Mustard Seed, pediatrics ward at Victoria Hospitals Foundation, Queen Alexandra Foundation, Single Parent Resource Centre, Women in Need, Victoria Police Department, and the Victoria Women’s Transition House.
– The first 2,500 fans will receive a set of collectible Royals’ 2015-16 player cards (limit of one set per person). Royals’ Ticket Pack Holders including Season Tickets, Half-Season Tickets and the Five Game Fan Pack, will have first access to the hockey cards from 6:00-6:30 p.m.
– Japan Camera will be on site at Gate 1 to take Christmas photos with Marty the Marmot from 6:00-6:45 p.m. Photos are by food or cash donation to the Mustard Seed Food Bank.
– Select Royals’ commemorative military jerseys will be available pre-game through a silent auction. Proceeds will support the The Poppy Fund and Victoria Royals Education & Scholarship Fund.