© Copyright – 2017 – Victoria Sports News

Saturday, the Victoria Royals hosted the Vancouver Giants for game one of their two-game set at Save on Foods Memorial Centre this weekend and the Royals won by the score of 6-5 in a shootout.

Matt Barberis opened the scoring at 12:36 of the first. Nine seconds later Ryan Peckford got that goal back, to tie the score 1-1. The goal was assisted by Matthew Phillips who kept his game points streak alive at 16 games, a new franchise record. Scott Walford earned the second assist. Phillips set the record at 15 games in Prince Albert against the Raiders. Mike Santorelli previously held the longest point streak at 14.

The first period ended with the teams tied at one, but the Giants had outshot the home team, 12-7.

The Royals were having trouble getting the puck out of their own end on first attempts and subsequently gave up scoring opportunities repeatedly.

Going against the run of the play, the Royals scored at 8:30 of the second to go up 2-1, shots to that point were 22-9 for the visitors. Eric Florchuk scored his fourth of the season from Jeremy Masella.

“Tonight a lot of players in the lineup contributed to the score board including Florchuck and Masella, Walford, Hannoun, Phillips, Nagy, Legien, Kaid Oliver was all over the puck tonight,” said Coach Dan Price. “We have to give credit to the other team and recognise that they played well too. Both goalies played great games tonight.”

Three-minutes and 15 seconds later, Matthew Phillips scored his 13th goal of the season, when he turned into the goal, with the puck on his stick and slipped a slick shot to the back of the net, in one motion.

At 14:42, James Malm brought the visitors to within one on the rush; he redirected a pass from Bowen Byram. Marcus Kitchton earned the second assist on the play – the goal came after Outhouse made several outstanding saves. Outhouse was partially screened and the puck fluttered high over his left shoulder.

Outhouse was keeping the Royals in the game.

At the end of two periods the Royals nearly pulled even on the shot clock with a total of 22 to 25 for the Giants.

The Royals stepped onto the ice with purpose for the third period. For the first few minutes they owned the play in the Giants end. After some back and forth play, the Royals on the rush scored an insurance marker to go up 4-2. It was a bullet of a wrist shot from Regan Nagy. Dino Kambeitz and Chad Reddekopp assisted at 7:48.

Sixteen seconds later, Jared Legien scored his fifth of the season. Completing a nifty, give-and-go at the blue line Legion, receiving the pass back in the offensive zone from Oliver, went around a Giants defenseman and roofed an explosive shot, top-right-corner. Scott Walford earned the second assist on the play.

With 6:10 left in the game, the Giants scored a four-on-four goal, after Outhouse has made several tremendous saves in a row. From the slot, Owen Hardy scored on a wrister. At 15:56 and 19:01 the Giants scored two more, to tie the game. Tyler Popowich and Ty Ronning scored; the latter on the powerplay.

The teams played three-on-three overtime hockey, but when Chaz Reddekopp carried the puck to the net, he was taken down by Brad Morrison, who took two for tripping.

The Giants killed of the penalty and the teams ended up going to the shootout. The Royals won on a Griffen Outhouse save, that sealed the deal. The only goal of six shots was by Matthew Phillips.

Ronny, Holt Dawson and Roman Milos all missed on their shootout opportunities. Igor Martynov shot first for the Royals, Phillips scored, then Tyler Soy missed, but the final shot by  Milson was save by Outhouse, who celebrated all the way back to the bench.

The Royals went 1/9 on the powerplay, while the Giants were 1/6. The shots were 48-42 for the Giants.

Next game is Sunday with a 3:05 pm start against the Giants at Save on Foods Memorial Centre.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.