Vikes Communications

Four goals scored by four different players powered the UVic Men’s soccer team to a 4-0 win over the visiting Winnipeg Wesmen at Centennial Stadium, September 16.

“Scoring those goals gives our team confidence. We hadn’t really been scoring a lot of goals and we were giving away too many. Tonight was perfect, zero goals against and four for us,” said Bruce Wilson, head coach of the Vikes.

Michael BaartPaulo Dait, Samuel Prette and Xavier Araujo all found the back of the net for the Vikes, who scored more goals in this game than in their previous four games combined.

The scoring started 20 minutes into the game when a ball was played up to Araujo, who broke in all alone on the Wesmen net.  Joshua Partaker in net for the Wesmen charged out and made a nice sliding save, but the ball bounced out to Michael Baart who was able to take his time and pass it into the wide-open net.

Just five minutes after the goal, the Wesmen almost got themselves back onto level terms.

A great back heel pass by Tobias Hyrich-Kreuger sent the ball to Krystof Szulc who was all alone just outside the six-yard box.

Luckily for the Vikes it was, as it’s so often been this season, Noah Pawlowski to the rescue.  The fifth-year goalkeeper was able to make a quick reaction save and parry the ball away. Szulc managed to quickly get back to his feet but just blasted the rebound over the bar.

Right at the stroke at halftime the Vikes were able to double their advantage.

A counter-attack by the Vikes led to pressure in the box and a Wesmen defender was forced to pull his man down in the box.

For the second time in a row it was Paulo Dait who stepped up to the spot to take the kick for the Vikes. He made no mistake in scoring his third goal of the year and sending the Vikes into the half with a two goal lead.

“That goal was huge, to score in the 46th minute mark. I think the soccer gods were looking after us tonight,” said Wilson.

It was a second half dominated by the Vikes.

“At halftime I said to the team, next goal wins. If you score the third, the game is easy, if they score to make it 2-1 then we are in a battle. As it went we scored two goals in the second half and everything worked,” said Wilson.

The Vikes stretched their lead to three in the 55th minute.

Halftime substitute Samuel Prette was able to grab the ball off a Wesmen defender deep in the Winnipeg half and then showed off some dribbling skills that more than lived up to his name.

Prette was able to manouver around multiple Wesmen defenders before calmly slotting the ball past Partaker, for his first goal of the season.

Just five minutes later the Vikes would add another.

Araujo picked the ball up off of a rebound and chipped the ball over Partaker for the fourth and final goal of the game.

After that the Vikes made multiple substitutions and everybody in a UVic uniform worked hard to ensure that Pawlowski recorded a well-earned first shutout of the season.

The Wesmen will now travel to Vancouver to take on the UBC Thunderbirds.

Next up for the Vikes will be a game Saturday against the Prairie division leading Alberta Golden Bears.

“We have a very difficult game tomorrow, so we have our work cut out for us but at least now we have the confidence,” said Wilson.

SCORING                                                      1     2     FINAL
Victoria (2-3-0)                                               2      2      4
Winnipeg (0-6-1)                                            0      0      0

UVIC: Evan Libke
Winnipeg: Krystof Szulc

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.