© Copyright – 2018 – Victoria Sports News

The Saanich Braves nearly went up two games on the Campbell River Storm Friday, but came up short, losing by the score of 3-2, as the Storm tied the series at a game apiece.

Again, Tyler Mathieson for Saanich stood on his head as the Storm outshot the visitors 42-19.

Darren Hards opening the scoring at 6:46 of the first period and 40 seconds later the Storm scored again, this time it was Dawson Frank capitalizing.

The score stayed 2-0 until 2:04 of the third period when the Storm went up 3-0 as Brett Kinley put one in.

The Braves made a game of it scoring two powerplay markers with Gavin Grewal putting the puck past goaltender Dylan Garand at 5:51. At 7:35, Elliot MacIsaac put the scare into Campbell River when he scored a powerplay marker, to get to within one.

Grewal assisted on the second goal.

But that is all she wrote. After two periods with a high volume of shots, there was just a combined total of 13 taken during the third period.

The Braves went 2/4 on the man advantage, while they held the Storm to 0/2.

The series returns to Saanich for the next two games. Game time is 7:45 at Pearkes Arena Saturday and 6:30 pm Monday.

Victoria Grizzlies

In the BCHL, the Victoria Grizzlies were eliminated in five games at home at The Q Centre. The final score was 4-3.

Ethan Nother scored twice during the second period to take a 2-1 lead in the game. Hunter Findlater had opened the scoring in the first at 19:09. Carter Turnbull and Ben Berard would score 40 seconds apart at 7:05 and 7:45 of the third to pull away.

T.J. Freidman added one at 12:50 to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Berard with his eighth of the post-season and second of the game would end the Grizzlies’ post-season at 10:36 of the first overtime.

The Kings would throw 54 shots at Kurtis Chapman over the three and a half periods, while Matteo Paler-Chow would face 38.

The Grizzlies powerplay went 2/3 while they held the Kings off with their four opportunities.