Canada’s Women’s Team head coach Francois Ratier has announced his starting roster for Wednesday’s test match against Hong Kong to open the 2017 Women’s Rugby World Cup (WRWC) in Ireland.
Leading the charge from the number 8 position is Captain Kelly Russell of Bolton, Ontario, who’s winning her 49th test match for Canada. In the front row, Canada will be bolstered by Carolyn McEwen, Laura Russell and DaLeaka Menin, with Kayla Mack and Latoya Blackwood in the second row.
Canada’s backrow remains consistent with Russell flanked by Jacey Grusnick and Karen Paquin.
Scrumhalf Lori Josephson makes her World Cup debut starting alongside 2014 WRWC stalwart Emily Belchos at flyhalf. In the centres, Canada boasts a consistent blend of experience and youth, as 33 cap veteran Andrea Burk slots in beside WRWC rookie Alex Tessier.
An all-French Canadian back three is lead by Elissa Alarie at fullback, with Magali Harvey and Frederique Rajotte on the wings. Ranked 3rd in World Rugby rankings, Ratier’s side enters the competition with high hopes and plans to use the Hong Kong test to start their campaign off positively.
Wednesday’s clash with Canada marks the first-ever game for Hong Kong, ranked 23rd in the world, at the World Cup. Canada and Hong Kong have never met in international test rugby.
Kick off is set for 12:00 pm ET/9:00 am PT on Wednesday and you can watch live on TSN/RDS.
What flyhalf Emily Belchos said:
“We arrived in Ireland two weeks ago and had our pre-tournament camp outside of the city at Johnstown Estate and it’s been going well. Our team is really connected and we’re excited to get our campaign underway on Wednesday.
“We have a large group of returning players from the last World Cup in 2014 so it’s a confident environment because a lot of us have been here before. We don’t know very much about Hong Kong, so we’re just trying to focus on our performance and, if we play our game we should be successful on Wednesday,”
What winger Frederique Rajotte said:
“We want to set the pace for our World Cup starting on Wednesday against Hong Kong; we’ve been training hard over the last two weeks in Ireland we’re all excited to get underway.
“For me to be here representing my country at the World Cup in Ireland it’s a dream come true. If you asked me two years ago I wouldn’t have thought I’d be here, so I’m looking forward to the opportunity!”
Canada’s Roster to face Hong Kong:
- Carolyn McEwen, Burnaby Lake RFC (Vancouver, BC)
- Laura Russell, Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
- DaLeaka Menin, Calgary Hornets (Vulcan, AB)
- Kayla Mack, Saskatoon Wild Oats (Saskatoon, SK)
- Latoya Blackwood, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Montreal, QC)
- Jacey Grusnick, Barrhaven Scottish (Alliston, ON)
- Karen Paquin, Club de Rugby de Quebec/Castaway Wanderers (Quebec City, QC)
- Kelly Russell,Captain, Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
- Lori Josephson, Aurora Barbarians (Beaverton, ON)
- Emily Belchos, Westshore RFC (Innisfil, ON)
- Frederique Rajotte, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC (Montreal, QC)
- Andrea Burk, Capilano RFC (North Vancouver, BC)
- Alex Tessier, Montreal Barbarians (Sainte-Clotilde-de-Horton, QC)
- Magali Harvey, Club de Rugby de Quebec (Quebec City, QC)
- Elissa Alarie,Vice Captain, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Trois Rivieres, QC)
- Jane Kirby, Highland Fergus Rugby Club (Brampton, ON)
- Brittany Kassil, Guelph Redcoats (Guelph, ON)
- Olivia DeMerchant, Woodstock Wildmen/Castaway Wanderers (Mapledale, NB)
- Tyson Beukeboom, Aurora Barbarians/Cowichan RFC (Uxbridge, ON)
- Cindy Nelles, Belleville Bulldogs (Belleville, ON)
- Brianna Miller, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Pointe-Claire, QC)
- Amanda Thornborough, Westshore RFC (Brandon, MB)
- Brittany Waters, Meraloma Athletic Club/Castaway Wanderers (Vancouver, BC)
2017 WRWC Staff:
Francois Ratier- Head Coach
Shaun Allen- Assistant Coach
Gary Dukelow – Assistant Coach
Colette McAuley- Technical Support
Nicole Crowley- Manager
Shannon Houston – Team Doctor
Brad Curry – Physiotherapist
Jamie McCartney – Strength & Conditioning
Nicole Ainsworth- Athletic Therapist
James Kent- Analyst
Bryan Kelly – Media Manager
Meaghan Howat – Director