Canada narrowly defeated in second match of International Women’s Rugby Series
Canada got tries from Carolyn McEwen and Karen Paquin while Magali Harvey kicked ten points.
"We definitely stepped it up but it's still not enough," captain Kelly Russell said. "We need to play the full 80 minutes and we need to fight for 80 minutes.
“We kept ball in our hand, we’ve got some fast players out there and you saw the kind of tempo we want to play. It’s just keeping consistent and keep the ball as we do damage when we have the ball in hand.”
Trailing 15-10 at half time, Canada grabbed its first lead in the 51st minute after a piece of magic from Karen Paquin who intercepted a pass and ran the length of the field to give Canada the lead after Harvey’s conversion.
However, Canada’s lead was short-lived as Lydia Thompson, who had a try in the first half, danced her way through the Canadian defence to score under the posts and restore the England advantage to 22-17.
Harvey’s 59th minute penalty cut the deficit to 22-20 but Canada wouldn’t get closer as only a minute later Kay Wilson scored in the corner after Emily Scarratt had broken through the Canadian line.
Canada piled on the pressure in the dying minutes and despite sustained pressure inside the English 22, they couldn’t find a breakthrough.
“We want to end high and on a good performance and something we can be really proud of,” Russell said. “Today was a step in that direction and hopefully we can finish it off well against Australia.”
England opened the scoring in the 11th minute with a deadly counter attack from a Canadian scrum as Scarratt found daylight to break into the Canadian half before Abbie Scott touched down a few phases later.
Harvey notched her first points of the day to cut the lead to 7-3 in the 18th minute before England got its first try of the night through Thompson.
McEwen’s try got Canada back in the game, cutting the score to 12-10, before a Scarratt’s penalty gave England a 15-10 lead at the break.
Canada concludes its IRWS tournament Friday at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT LIVE on www.worldrugby.org against Australia in their final game before the 2017 Women’s Rugby World Cup.
Canada’s Roster vs. England (Name, club, hometown):
1. Carolyn McEwen, Burnaby Lake Rugby Club (Vancouver, BC)
2. Laura Russell, Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
3. DaLeaka Menin, Hornets (Vulcan, AB)
4. Tyson Beukeboom, Aurora Barbarians/Cowichan RFC (Uxbridge, ON)
5. Kayla Mack, Saskatoon Wild Oats (Saskatoon, SK)
6. Jacey Grusnick, Barrhaven Scottish (Alliston, ON)
7. Karen Paquin, Club de Rugby de Quebec/Castaway Wanderers (Quebec City, QC)
8. Kelly Russell, captain Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
9. Lori Josephson, Aurora Barbarians (Beaverton, ON)
10. Alex Tessier, Montreal Barbarians (Sainte-Clotilde-de-Horton, QC)
11. Elissa Alarie, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Trois Rivieres, QC)
12. Emily Belchos, Westshore RFC (Innisfil, ON)
13.Amanda Thornborough, Westshore RFC (Brandon, MB)
14. Magali Harvey, Town of Mont-Royal RFC (Quebec City, QC)
15. Julianne Zussman, Castaway Wanderers (Montreal, QC)
16. Kristy Sargent, Leprechaun Tigers (Edmonton, AB)
17. Brittany Kassil, Guelph Redcoats (Guelph, ON)
18. Olivia DeMerchant, Woodstock Wildmen/Castaway Wanderers (Mapledale, NB)
19. Cindy Nelles, Belleville Bulldogs (Belleville, ON)
20. Barbara Mervin, Westshore RFC (Peterborough, ON)
21. Chelsea Guthrie, Stratchona Druids (Edmonton, AB)
22. Brittany Waters, Meraloma Athletic Club/Castaway Wanderers (Vancouver, BC)
23. Frederique Rajotte, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC (Montreal, QC)
Unavailable due to Injury:
Latoya Blackwood, Westshore RFC (Montreal, QC)
Andrea Burk, Capilano RFC (North Vancouver, BC)
Francois Ratier- Head Coach
Shaun Allen- Assistant Coach
Colette McAuley- Technical Support
Nicole Crowley- Manager
Nicole Ainsworth- Athletic Therapist
Nicole Allen- Athletic Therapist
James Kent- Analyst
Tries: Carolyn McEwen, Karen Paquin
Conversions: Magali Harvey (2)
Penalties: Magali Harvey (2)
Tries: Lydia Thompson (2), Abbie Scott, Kay Wilson
Conversions: Emily Scarratt (2)
Penalties: Emily Scarratt
International Women's Rugby Series Schedule:
Friday, 9 June - Wellington
Black Ferns 28-16 Canada
Australia 10-53 England
Tuesday, 13 June - Christchurch
Canada 20-27 England
Black Ferns vs. Australia
Saturday, 17 June - Rotorua
Black Ferns vs. England
Australia vs. Canada